Community Support Worker (Full Time)
|Category:||SW Dip, BSW, MSW|
|Title:||Community Support Worker (Full Time)|
|Address:||10527 96 Street|
|Salary:||To be determined|
2 Full-Time Positions Available
Through our vision of eliminating poverty in our community, and guided by a passionate concern for the dignity and well-being of each individual, our work is based on building relationships, hope and trust. By addressing multiple needs, Bissell Centre provides a holistic approach to helping families and individuals.
Currently, Bissell Centre is looking for the right individual to fill the position of Community Support Worker. Bissell’s Community Centre is a safe space for adults to access essential supports and services, build relationships, create community and participate in a wide range of recreation, arts, culture, life skills, and education programs. The Community Support Worker practices from a person-centered and harm reduction approach, employing anti-oppressive practices and community development theory to empower individuals to move from poverty to cultural, social and economic prosperity. This position focuses on ensuring a welcoming and inclusive environment for all participants accessing the Community Centre, as well as, coordination and facilitation of programming that builds skills and empowers participants.
At present, Bissell Centre is undergoing significant renovations to its existing Drop-In space in order to implement a new service delivery model based on the principals of empowerment and the commitment to offer a space that emphasizes programming that support participants and their strengths. This is an exciting opportunity to be an important part of a team, implementing a progressive new vision.
|Qualifications:||• Diploma or Degree in Social Work, Sociology, Community Support Work or combination of other relevant education and experience
• Minimum 2 years relevant employment experience
• Familiarity with issues of poverty, homelessness and Edmonton’s urban core
• Knowledge of Aboriginal Cultural Resources, Ceremonies and Protocols is an asset
• Experience in program coordination and facilitation is an asset
• Strong written and verbal communication and interpersonal skills, result oriented, good time management, strong organizational and problem-solving skills
• Proficiency of Microsoft Word, Excel, and Outlook required
• Criminal Record and Child Welfare checks
|Description:||Specific responsibilities of the position include:
Resiliency & Relationships:
• Employ Restorative Practices to create an inclusive and welcoming environment.
• Support participants to meet their own immediate needs and resolve challenges in a sustainable manner.
• Engage participants in intentional and purposeful conversations, this may include providing individual support or advocacy to participants.
• Develop opportunities and support an environment where participants can build support networks to be sustainably interdependent in their community.
• Use de-escalation skills and provide crisis intervention as required.
• Help build a culture that supports and develops participants’ and the community’s strengths.
• Program coordination and facilitation of assigned recreation, arts, culture, life skills, and education programs.
• Assist with additional special program activities and events, as required.
• Orientation, ongoing training, supervision and support of volunteers.
• Ensure participants’ voices are heard in decisions that affect them.
• Encourage and support participants to achieve their goals through accessing internal and external resources and services.
• Assess, refer, and support participants through systems navigation.
• Identify gaps and barriers in service delivery.
• Assist participants to access Bissell Centre basic need services available in the Community Centre, such as coffee, laundry, showers, lunches, haircuts and the Community Closet.
• Ensuring daily maintenance of Community Centre Specific logbooks, records and stats sheets
• Enter client data into the Efforts to Outcomes Database
• Attend regular meetings and trainings, as required
• Other duties as assigned
|Please forward your resume to:||Bissell Centre offers above average industry benefits including employer subsidized medical and dental benefits, life insurance, disability, flexible health spending account, outstanding vacation and more! This is a full-time position, working 40 hours per week with a salary range of $19.76 to $24.00per hour. Some evenings, weekends, and statutory holiday work will be required.
Interested candidates are invited to submit their resume and cover letter by December 13th, 2017 to:
Manager of Community Development
10527 - 96 Street
Edmonton, AB T5H 2H6
Phone: 780-423-2285 ext. 305
We thank all applicants for their interest. However, only candidates selected for interview will be contacted.
Bissell Centre is an equal opportunity employer who is committed to diversity within our community and welcomes applications from all qualified individuals regardless of race, national or ethnic origin, colour, religion, age, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, family status, genetic characteristics, or disability. Bissell Centre is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees, in accordance with provincially and federally legislated protected grounds.