Alberta College of Social Workers

Restricted Activities

The definition is contained in the Government Organization Act (RSA 2000), Schedule 7.1, as follows: * The following, carried out in relation to or as part of providing a health service, are restricted activities: * to perform a psychosocial intervention with an expectation of treating a substantial disorder of thought, mood, perception, orientation or memory that grossly impairs o judgment, o behaviour, o capacity to recognize reality, or o ability to meet the ordinary demands of life; # Despite subsection(1), the following are not restricted activities: * activities of daily living, whether performed by the individual or by a surrogate on the individual's behalf, * giving information and providing advice with the intent of enhancing personal development, providing emotional support or promoting spiritual growth of individuals, couples, families and groups.
No. Only those social workers who have demonstrated that they have the requisite skill, knowledge and abilities receive authorization.
Social workers must be educated regarding mental health assessment and treatment methods, and practice ethics relevant to mental health. Understanding of human behaviour and social environment systems with specific focus on mental health must be demonstrated. Full description of the requirements is in the Social Workers Profession Regulation, Section 11
A new graduate with a BSW or MSW must provide evidence of having taken relevant course work, as well as completing a senior practicum in a mental health setting. A reference from the practicum supervisor indicating the knowledge, skills and abilities have been demonstrated must accompany the application.A social worker who has not taken the necessary course work in a social work degree program must provide evidence of a combination of education (which may include a variety of activities other than course work) and supervised practice covering the same content areas. A reference from the supervisor indicating that the knowledge, skills and abilities have been demonstrated, along with a summary of relevant education and practice history, must accompany the request for authorization.
No. Anyone who has been actively engaged in the provision of psychosocial interventions must provide documentation of the relevant education and experience, along with a summary of current practice that fits the definition. Once the necessary information is on file, authorization will be granted.
Any social worker who is authorized to perform psychosocial interventions is also authorized to supervise students and other practitioners who are developing their skills in this area. Practitioners in other mental health disciplines may also be authorized to supervise social workers in this practice: their regulation will indicate whether or not they are authorized.
Supervision must include clinical consultation for a minimum of one hour per week for students and one hour every two weeks for other practitioners. It must include discussion of specific cases and specific interventions, direct or indirect observation of practice, and reviews of documentation prepared by the supervisee.
Yes. If you are authorized to perform psychosocial interventions and you work in a multidisciplinary setting, you are authorized by the Social Workers Profession Regulation to supervise any individual whom you believe is competent to perform it. Please be aware that you may be held accountable for the practice of the person you are supervising should any problems arise
Some social workers working specifically in the area of addictions require authorization for their work but do not have a broad-based mental health background that would enable them to provide treatment to other populations without supervision. These people are only allowed to perform addictions treatment without supervision.